Overlooking the harbor One Room Schoolhouse Sideview of Stone Bridge/Mill Creek Sulpher Springs Church

Justice Court  

Thank you for our interest in the Town of Hounsfield 'Justice Court' system. The following information will assist you in this area.




What if I missed a court date?

Call the court immediately. You may be subject to a license suspension or a warrant could be issued for your arrest.


How do I answer my traffic ticket?

There are two forms of traffic tickets.

  1. Yellow hand written tickets
  2. Computer generated tickets

It is the obligation of the receiving motorist to respond to the ticket. You must enter a plea on the ticket and mail it to the court by the date specified. You may appear in person on the date specified to enter your plea in front of the Judge.

If you plead guilty by mail the Judge will render a decision and said decision will be mailed to you.

If you plead not guilty you have 3 basic options:

  1. Request a trial at which you must appear.
  2. Be sent a date to appear and speak with the District Attorney.
  3. Write a letter with your Not Guilty plea, include a copy of your ticket and attempt to get your ticket reduced thru the Jefferson County District Attorney office.

If you have been charged with a misdemeanor you need to contact the court.


What is a supporting deposition?

A supporting deposition is a more detailed account of the ticket you were issued. If you received an electronically generated ticket, you may have been handed the supporting deposition at the time you were handed the ticket by the officer.


My license is suspended or is going to be suspended, what do I do?

If your suspension is with this court you need to contact the court to find out what you need to do.

If you are suspended in a court other than this one and received a ticket for said suspension directing you to appear in this court, your first step is to contact the court you are suspended in and clear that up. Your second step would be to contact this court for further instructions.


What are the acceptable means of payment?

Payment may be made only with a money order, certified check or cash in person, US funds only. Please make MO or certified check payable to : Town of Hounsfield Court. NOTE - we do not accept personal or business checks.

Payment with Master Card or Visa is accepted in person, by fax, or e-mail.


To pay by credit card you need the following information:

  • Defendants name and address
  • Zip Code (we are unable to process your payment without a zip code).
  • Card holders name and signature
  • Card #
  • Card expiration date
  • 3 digit code on the back of the card
  • Written authorization to charge the total due to the account provided.

If you wish to have a receipt sent to you please send a self-addressed stamped envelope with your payment.

For fax payment if you wish to have a receipt please request same on your fax.


How do I file a small claim and how much is the filing fee?

Small Claims can be filed with the Court Clerk. The party you’re filing against must live, work, or have a place of business in the Town of Hounsfield. They must receive their mail in the Town of Hounsfield. You must have the exact mailing address. Post office boxes are not acceptable. The allowable maximum claim is $3,000.00. For claims up to $1,000.00 the filing fee is $10.00. For claims over a $1,000.00 the filing fee is $15.00. For more information you may pick up a booklet on small claims at the court office.


How do I contact New York State DMV?

Call 1-518-474-0774. You may also visit their website at: http://www.nysdmv.com.

  back to top  



Town of Hounsfield